Tuesday, April 13, 2010

MENAXLDS 2010 in Jordan.



Last month (from March 9th-21st) I experience my first AIESEC international conference, MENAXLDS 2010! MENAXLDS is an annual conference hosted in the MENA (middle east and north Africa) region. The conference is mainly focused on improving exchange and developing leadership, two main pillars of the AIESEC way.

For delegates, they spend their day in sessions either as part of the LDS (leadership focused) or XPRO (exchange focused) track. But as for the CC members, it was our responsibility to ensure that everything happening during those 7 days was logistically running smoothly.

Being an intern here in Jordan connects me to AIESEC in a much different way than what I am used to as a full-member back at Madison. Don't get me wrong, I am more than enjoying my time here, but basically I was desperately missing contributing to AIESEC directly, through means of intensive labor, ha. Thus, near the end of December, I applied to be a member of the CC (congress committee or planning team) as a delegate servicing (DS) teamster.

I was responsible for marketing the conference to members in the MENA region and across the AIESEC global network. I was also a "buddy" for all the international delegates (outside MENA) -- India, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Germany, United States, the Netherlands, and Greece.

This meant that I needed to help them prepare both logistically; registration, flight confirmations, airport pickup, pre/post conference hotel stay, etc..., but also culturally; language, food, dress, cost, traveling the region, keza keza.

I really enjoyed this work, one because I would do most of it from my computer ha, but also because it gave me an opportunity to share my experience and what I have learned in Jordan thus far, with other internationals.







My BEJENININ CC TEAM!




























MENAXLDS 2010 started out with a BANG! A.K.A. Opening Ceremony. Above I am standing next to the welcome banner, beside my company's logo, CCC (Consolidated Contractors Company). CCC has been a loyal sponsor of AIESEC Jordan, including their generous donation towards the conference.

Next we moved right on to Mecca Mall -- one of the two major malls in Amman, for Global Village. This Global Village was like one that I had never experienced. Having so many internationals in one public space was amazing. We had live rap performances, 2 comedy shows, and danced to Tunak Tunak right in the middle of it all.
To top it all off, I yellahed on the dubkeh (of course, ha)!

Thanks to the delegates from the USA -- shoutout to Julia and Claire!! .... we had a sweet Ameeeerika table too!
























The next few days were spent DOING WORK! Wake up calls in the AM (which I love by the way), manning the help desk during sessions, nap if I was lucky in the afternoon, and partying at night.

Being a lover of theme parties, I provided the themes. So we ended up having three great parties during the conference...DISCO night, Karaoke Night, and a White Tee party! Not much different from being at an AIESEC US conference, except there was a lot less drinking, which actually allowed people to spend more time during the evenings having genuine conversations and networking. All and all, not a bad trade off.
















Our next special event was Jordanian Night, where I had a rendezvous with my friend and fellow AIESEC Madison member, Rashaad. Also know as "the beast from the middle east" hhahha.

As most of you know (and previously mentioned) I quite enjoy theme events, so I went all out. Sporting my dress that I bought from Jerusalem and a head piece purchased in the souks of Amman (although this is not technically tradition Jordanian fashion, so you know.)















The food was delicious. We had a wide variety of salads to begin with. And then the national dish, Mansaf. This was Trisha's first Mansaf btw. And even though the dish is covered in meat...I still ate it. Well ate around it, but it was actually good none-the-less. And a dessert of fresh fruit, tea, and agila.

The conference came to a close with the Gala Dinner and Award Ceremony, a crucial moment for AIESEC Jordan which we shared with our partners, both companies and organizations, families, and friends.


The ladies of the CC Team pictured here. Tala, Shatha, Shatha, Walaa, Rana, and Farah, M.I.A. Rand :)

As the conference came to an end, I was so happy about the accomplishments my team and myself achieved. MENAXLDS 2010 was only the 4th installment of this international conference. Similarly, AIESEC Jordan has only been in existence for the same amount of time. Thus, producing this conference in such a young and inexperienced AIESEC region and country was a HUGE challenge, but no doubt successful! The most important thing for me was that the delegates had an experience of a lifetime and I am confident we delivered that and more.

I was the only non-Jordanian member of the CC team, which did have it's disadvantages. Like not being fluent in Arabic for starters. But also my lack of knowledge about AIESEC in the MENA region. Many of the CC members were new to AIESEC and for most this was their first time being on a conference planning team or doing AIESEC work for that matter. So although I was new to the area, I think I was able to utilize all my experience in the organization and bring my international perspective and work ethic to the team. And actually take more of a leadership role in the conference than I attended, which I admit was a challenge, yes, but a growth experience and utterly amazing.

This is our amazing conference chair Ewelina (from Poland), a fellow intern and friend.

For all of you who attended MENAXLDS, whether as a delegate, FACI, CC member, partner, or attendee for the special events, I thank you. This conference was one that will go down in the history books and an experience that will remain with me for eternity.

Oh and you can't forget the USA role call to YMCA! What a showstopper!

No comments:

Post a Comment