Thursday, January 21, 2010

The presence of authority

Jordan is well known as being a very safe country. And I have found this to be very true. But, I am constantly surprised by the amount of police and army officers that I see. Honestly, they make me feel on edge. Like there is danger. Someone or something to fear, lurking, just waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike.

All the highways are littered with police check points. Not solely for the purpose to regulate the speed limit, but just to maintain a position of authority over drivers. They do random pull-overs, forcing drivers who are committing no offense, to stop and submit to questioning.

Armed military guard and monitor countless buildings throughout Irbid and many more in Amman. I would assume that these are government building of some kind, but it's vague. It's odd to walk through my city and pass dozens of men with giant guns. What and who are they protecting?

I have heard that these military and police jobs, on average, offer a higher salary. Furthermore, that they are reserved solely for Jordanian Jordanians. Those with Palestinian heritage are not eligible for these positions.

All-in-all it's harmless, if your not breaking the law, but too much power in government hands in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment