Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bethlehem for Christmas

Throughout my three months here in Jordan, thus far I have skipped the holidays. Halloween passed without costumes, trick-or-treaters, or Madison's raging Freak Fest. Thanksgiving happened without stuffing, pumpkin pie, and family gatherings. So actually celebrating a typical holiday was in need.


Over the Christmas holiday I traveled with my crew to Bethlehem and Jerusalem.
Pictured - The multicultural Crew:
Dan (Canada), Julie (Canada), Kristina (Estonia), Ana (Romania), and Ewelina (Poland).

After dropping our belongings at our hostel in Jerusalem we made our way by bus to Bethlehem. Surprisingly we coasted through the 1 security checkpoint, by simply flashing our various North American and European passports.

Setting eyes on the West Bank barrier wall was incredible and made the Israeli/Palestinian conflict an actuality in my mind for the first time. Being on the other side of the globe and reading about these events is obviously much different than gazing upon them.


The wall itself is completely covered with graffiti; words and pictures of anger, disparity, support, hope, peace, and freedom.





I did not understand many of the images due to my naivety, but the emotion behind the artwork really stuck with me.





Bethlehem was definitely filled with tourist, but many local Christians were also present throughout the city celebrating the Christmas holidays with their families. And Santa was every
where too!

We made sure to hit all the religious 'hot spots'. The Church of Nativity, the birth place of Jesus (pictured to the right) was our first stop. The church is one of the oldest places of worship in the world that is still in operation.

We then made our way to Shepherds' Field identified as the scene where the Angel of the Lord visited the shepherds and informed them of Jesus' birth; "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And the Angel said to them, Fear not, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people" (Luke 2:8-10). Shepherds' Field was such a calming place to be. It overlooked a beautiful view of the countryside and was filled with half-a-dozen outdoor sanctuaries. I imagine it would best place on earth for worship. While investigating the area I came upon an underground sanctuary (pictured to the right). And let me tell you it was one of the neatest things I have ever seen. It was dead silent down there, not in an eerie way, but in one that fills your entire body with tranquility. Since my beloved family could not be with my on this spiritual journey, I sat there for a while and thought of them. I know that my parents especially, would have enjoyed this place.

We finished our night, back in Manger Square (next to the Church of Nativity) for dinner and beers. And in perfect Christmas Eve tradition we listened - and of course I sang along - to live carols being sung in the square.


When I was about 16
I decided that I did not really believe in God. But I have always remained a believer in spirituality and faith. I will always enjoy my memories of going to church with my family. Especially watching my parents sing in every choir imaginable that my church had to offer. And when that was not enough creating their own. I completely understand the benefits religion give others. And I still appreciate the aspect of friendship, community, and love that the church has provided me. Not to mention the amazing experiences I have had volunteering with various religious organizations.

Witnessing how these significantly religious landmarks affected those who visited them, made the experience that much more meaningful.
It felt really nice to be in the presence of faith again. There could have been no better way to spend a Christmas abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment