Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Being a Veg-head abroad

A phrase that I committed to memory day one is....Ana nabateyeh or أنا نباتي (I am a vegetarian).

Vegetarianism is not completely a foreign concept here, most people have at least heard of it. Although no one really comprehends why one would not want to sink their teeth into a juicy slice of meat -- well as long as it's not pork, ha!

Here meat is both part of the culture and part of the religion. It is sacred and often used for religious purposes as well. For example during Eid Al-Adha (عيد الأضحى‎), the "Festival of Sacrifice" or "Greater Eid," families traditionally sacrifice an animal, usually a sheep or goat. The meat is then divided into three parts; one portion for the family, on for neighbors or relatives, and the last is given to the poor.

As my friend Naoufel Testaouni said it's "the biggest animal slaughter of the year."
Most local people I speak to are like:

"Oh your a vegetarian....but you still eat chicken, right?"

"Nope no chicken," I say.

"WALLAH!?!?!"

"Yeah, really. And no fish either."


I guess it's pretty similar to the reaction compared to the majority of people back home. Just in Western culture vegetarianism and other dietetic lifestyles (raw food diet, vegan, gluten-free/intolerant, lactose intolerant, and so on) are more common and mainstream.

It's ok though because I understand why I am a vegetarian. And although a lot of those reason do not necessarily exist here in Jordan, I feel that it's wrong for me to change something that is a crucial part of who I am, simply because I am living in another country. Especially when I know I will be returning to the USA in less than a year.

In tone with the welcoming culture of Jordanians', people have been very accommodating to my dietary choices, or lack-there-of. Like when I went to my student Fadi's home for some traditional cuisine, his mother was kind enough to prepare a plethora of salads for me. And she made the stuffed grape leaves without the typical ingredient of lamb.

Same when I eat lunch with my students, no one orders meat cause "Miss" is with us.


I'm doing pretty good being a vegetarian here, although I desperately miss my boca products, tofu, and Trader Joes. I have mostly been eating veggies; cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, pickles, eggplant, peppers, an the like. Fruit; oranges, clementines, and apples (note to self - eat more bananas!!) And then of course hummus, masab'baha, falafal, eggs, and bread. Oh and soup, soup, and more soup.

The moral of the story: It's been almost four years and I am still committed to the cause. 5 year plan...turn vegan, insha'allah.

1 comment:

  1. i am suppose to introduce you to my vegetarian friends here in amman . maybe its not that common in irbid but in Jordan specifically in amman it is.

    ReplyDelete