Tuesday, December 1, 2009

This is a man's world.

One thing that has really been ticking me off lately are the double standards in Jordan for men and women.

For example, around 9 o'clock all the women file into their homes and men litter the streets in packs. I live in an all female 'dorm' with a 10:00pm curfew. To be fair I knew that prior to moving in, but I didn't realize that it would bother me so much. The male students living in 'dorms' don't have a curfew....they can stay out all night if they wanted. Even my male students who are living at home with their parents and families don't have a curfew. Ugh, it's not like I even have anywhere to go in Irbid after 10:00pm anyways....it's more the fact that it's forbidden.

I would guess for the women it's an issue of safety. Go home to your father, brother, or your all female dorm where it is safe. Personally, I have never felt in danger here, insha'allah it will remain that way.

I think I said this before but I am truly happy that I have the opportunity to rep it for all the ladies at my work place. Being the only woman feels awkward sometimes, but my colleagues and students have had very little professional experience with women. It's about time they got a dose and I'm glad I'm the one to administer it!

No comments:

Post a Comment