Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Reason why I love and hate the word "مرحبا"

Jordan is such a welcoming country. It's just part of the culture. When people discover that you are not from here they immediately want to make you feel welcomed and at home. I have had the wonderful opportunity to visit many of my students homes and gather with them and their families. They truly are very inviting. Always offering everything they have to their guests; coffee and tea, food, sweets, whatever. Even gifts. These acts of kindness and acceptance have really made my experience here in Jordan.

Jordanian homes are even build for entertaining. A traditional home will have a 'sitting room.' A lavishly decorated room, used ONLY when visiting with guests.

Although I appreciate the welcoming nature of the people here and I definitely don't want it to stop....I have been here for almost 3 months now and people are still saying "marhaba" to me wherever I go. The suk, in a taxi, on the street, everywhere. It makes me feel like I will never be truly integrated with the local population. Like I will always be viewed as an outsider. I'm not a tourist here in Jordan, I am a resident. But, I doubt I will ever fully blend in.

No comments:

Post a Comment