Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ideas on family and independence

Family is an important aspect of Jordanian culture. It is very common for young people here to rely on their family, mainly their parents, well into their twenties and even thirties. For many people it is for financial reasons. They live at home to save money while they are in university or starting their careers. Believe me I understand the benefits in doing that, but I think that the youth here develop their independence much later as a result.

There are so many life changing experiences that I have had being away from my parents, but that time away from them is what's makes me appreciate them that much more. And I'm so lucky to have parents that gave the space and freedom to explore and develop my independence.

For me, it started from a young age. When I was like 9 years old I began going to Lutheran summer sleep-away camps. All throughout high school I ventured on week long volunteer and mission trips across the United States. I have played intensive club volleyball and softball for over half of my life. I went to Kenya and Tanzania when I graduated high school. And I moved away for college. Close enough that I could visit home whenever I wanted, but far enough that I felt as though I was on my own. On top of that I have had more jobs than any person I know my age.

Most of the college students I know here return home every weekend and live with their families. Most of them have never had a job in their life. They don't know how to cook, do laundry, or clean. And I think it's because many of them have never been forced to do these type of things on their own. On one hand I understand the desire to surround yourself with people who love you, understand you, and take care of you (such as your family), but you have to cut the cord at some point, right?

A person does a lot of growing up and maturing when they have to fend for themselves, experiences many Jordanians my age and older have not yet had.

No comments:

Post a Comment