Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Censorship in Jordan

The Western area (mainly the USA) has a large presence in Jordan's entertainment industry. For example, I could turn on the TV at any moment and find episodes of The Simpsons, The OC, LOST (yeah!), Friends, and CSI. Whatever, you name it! Oh and Oprah. Even the crap American television made it here e.g. According to Jim.

But in following with the more conservative societal and religious beliefs of the country, censorship on television and in films is very prominent. I am used to the 'radio edit' version of songs, which of course they have here in Jordan as well, but when all aspects of romance, love, and sex are completely cut out, a lot of the plot and entertainment value is lost.

It's funny to be watching an episode and all the sudden "snap" new scene, no explanation. Just "poof," gone as if it never existed.

Even 'boot-legged' movies that you buy on the street (btw one of my fave parts of Jordan!) are censored. I was surprised that even Twilight was changed! I mean that movie (although amazing) was designed for fragile, virgin tweens....so why is it not suitable for the Jordanian youth? The one and only steamy scene -- when Edward and Bella kiss in her room (for all of 2.5 seconds) was spliced. Imagine my disappointment at that!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHHAHAHA.

    Well, I must say Twilight is HIGHLY suggestive and very erotic. But damn, that sucks!

    I am really amused right now picturing you watching Lost, excited for a Kate/Sawyer sex scene, and being disappointed by the POOF!

    ReplyDelete