Thursday, January 21, 2010

Work updates.















In mid December, my students and I had a performance review. We traveled as a class, at 6:00am I might add, to the CCC (Consolidated Contractors Company) in Amman. Each of my students were individually interview in English by one of the international managers of the company. As proof of their hard work and mine thus far, all of my students passed! Alhum'dulelah! Not only did they pass, but they also gained some much needed confidence.

(Pictured: Most of the students and Riad - the Engineering professor, in front of the CCC office in Amman)

This interview also gave them motivation to continue in the course. Before, being supervisors in the CCC was a dream, but now they view this opportunity as an attainable future.

At the begin
ning of January, Lydia --a Peace Corps volunteer from the USA began her two year service at the Career Development Center (CDC) at Al-Huson College, where I work. Recently, the Peace Corps began accepting "older" volunteers, in addition to their typical collegiate or recent graduate demographic.

I am not entirely sure her exact age, not that it matters, but I can tell you that she is a grandmother and a wise one at that. But, young at heart.

Lydia, has an immense background in both education and the business sector. For over a decade she taught adult students at community college in California. She also worked for AT&T fro twenty years.

Thus far she has been an amazing addition to our team. She has taken quite a load off my back as well. We have now split the course; she is responsible for teaching communication skills and technical writing, and I take care of English -- grammar, vocabulary, reading, writing, comprehension, etc....

At first it was a huge change having another English speaker around, not to mention another woman. Honestly, I think it was the whole "OMG someone else is getting attention" complex. Childish right?
















But it's soooo nice to have another American/woman/native English speaker around. I don't have to dumb-down my English while speaking with her. And we gossip, rant, and complain about all the ridiculous happenings at work!!
I also enjoy having someone to bounce ideas off of, for lesson plans, activities, etc. And together we will make a good team here.

Starting in February we will also run three courses in communication skills. Two for students of the college and one for faculty and staff. I am glad the the CDC will finally be aiding the greater college community here, since that is the purpose of it's existence. Previously, I was hogging the center for seven hours a day teaching an intensive English course for my students, which unfortunately meant that no other students at this college were benefiting. Insha'allah, we will now make a larger impact here.


Oh yeah and I am staying in Jordan until the end of June! Yeah for me! The CCC agreed to pay for my extension, since SABEQ did not have adequate funding to extend my contract.
There is still so much that I want to accomplish here; in my job, with my students, and in AIESEC.

And although Jordan is small, there is SO MUCH to see here!
I Still have not been to Petra, Ajloun, Karak, Wadi Mojeb keza o' keza....seriously I need the extra 3 months to make sure I soak up as much of Jordan as I can before I head back to the USA in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment