Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My #1 Trait

I think my #1 trait here in Jordan is that I am a native English speaker.

Pretty frequently when strangers discover that I am American and that I am a teacher, they always ask for my help.

Like I went to the police station to get my visa extended and all the officer's were like "Oh Mam, can you teach our sons English?" And at school during the second week, I had a visitor who came to see if I would practice English conversation with his friend. I said "sure" and the next day he showed up with 6 people who all wanted to practice conversation during my 1 hour lunch break.

On campus a student stopped me and asked me where I was from. "The US," I said. He responded, with "OMG, it's such a pleasure to speak with a native English speaker, thank you!"

Even the 26 year old secretary in my office attempts to skip out on as much of his own work as possible, to sit in on my lectures.

Oh and this week, my roommate asked me if I can teach all the students in her department at Yarmouk University. Apparently, its a really good way to make extra money. So I am considering it, although if I have the spare time and energy I would gladly do it for free. I mean I came to Jordan to teach, to impact the lives of others, and to learn about myself and develop...so "the more the merrier" they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment