Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thoughts about people watching....or not.

In Madison I was fortunate enough to have a balcony over looking the always bustling State Street and Peace Park. I am used to people watching. Not usually as a means to judge others, but to investigate the world around me.

Being very interested in fashion, I tend to look people up and down on the street, gauging their ensembles as I simultaneously brainstorms clothing combinations I could create with my own wardrobe.


In my culture eye-contact is important. It lets others know that you acknowledge their presence and existence. During conversation eye contact is used, both out of respect and as a means to convey to the speaker your attentiveness. I have become completely used to this.


So when I learned today that I should NOT be making eye contact with everyone and anyone I please on the street, in particular men, I was like "well crap, that might be a tough habit to crack."

I guess locking eyes with a guy here gives them the impression that you are trying to holla at them or hook up (which in most cases that's not what is on my mind ha). I will have to keep that in check!

On the other hand....people seem to have no issue with looking my way. Or blurting out the first thing that comes to their mind. Like "Ohhhh my god!" Or "Obama hair." - at least that was my interpretation of his Arabic comment.

Here I almost try to calm my appearance, or play up the hippie/bohemian side of my fashion. I drape myself in long loose fabrics, flowy scarfs, and dark shades, but I still manage to draw an immense amount attention to myself. I know this is partially because of my gender, my somewhat question mark ethnicity, and of course the fro (which I cut and tamed before coming to Jordan ha). Observing the women here, who - at least in public, seem act and dress more conservatively than I am used to, inadvertently makes me feel like I am almost asking for it.

In my sophomore year of college I realized how much I stand out in my own community. Not sure what exactly changed that year; my self-confidence, the way I dress, my attitude, or just the overall way I carry myself...or maybe that was just when I realized it, not sure? But I have come to terms with that and it doesn't really phase me anymore. Although it is funny to hear constant commentary from passers by....young, old, men, women, even little children all seem to find me interesting. Which all and all is cool. Better to be noticed that to go through life invisible.

Still local celeb-ing,

1 comment:

  1. hahah get really dark shades so you can creep whenever you want. And I have a hard time imagining you AREN'T looking people up and fancying them (at least a little).

    Hahaha "Obama hair". I will remember that when you come home.

    Sad the fro's a babay.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete