Monday, October 12, 2009

USA 666

Its really interesting to see the American influences here in Jordan. TV, cinema, and music have definitely made a large impact on the younger generation. Everyone my age is a fan of Shakira, just like my friends in Madison (RAGE!), but oddly enough Enrique Iglesias is still house hold name. Personally his music is pretty crappy, but whatev.

Similarly the malls here are just like home. City Mall is complete with ALDO, BCBG, MAC, teenie-bopper stores like Claire's ha, Carrefour - which is an
utterly amazing French grocery store, and many upscale shops (that I still can't afford). Everything here seems to be a bit cheaper. For example, gasoline, food, rent, but clothes (at the mall at least) are a tad more expensive. So like the smart, thrifty shopper I am...I will wait till the end of the season to indulge my inner shop-a-holic in the clearance section.

I have been told many, many times that Jordanians love Americans. Which is wonderful to hear, but obviously there are people all over the world who, to put it lightly, disagree with American culture and foreign policy. Many of them residing in the USA. While out hiking in Amman I came across this graffiti.

Hmmmm....I wasn't sure who Begin was, so I had to google him, but Menachem Begin he was the 6th prime minister of Israel, f.y.i. Obviously, I don't support outright profanity and hatred for others, such as this display. And I was a bit shocked to see it. However, I won't deny that I got a good laugh out of "USA 666." Are we really that devilish???

1 comment:

  1. Not gonna lie, I despise Begin. Though i wouldn't express my distaste in the same manner, I can empathize with whomever wrote that. What you're seeing is rage from a person that knows there is little hope. The most this person can do is deface a shitty wall in Jordan. I can't help but feel some compassion for that kind of hopelessness.

    ReplyDelete